I love mechanical keyboards. Once you get used to using one, it is difficult to type comfortably, again, on a “conventional” keyboard. But what is a mechanical keyboard? And how is it different from the rest? I have a complete article about it, but to sum up, a mechanical keyboard differs from a normal one in that each key has an individual “switch”. Regular keyboards feature a membrane that covers the entire keyboard, with a small rubber dome for each key. Therefore, a mechanical keyboard feels much more precise than a conventional one, in addition to offering that satisfactory “clack” in response to each key pressed. It is a much more precise tool and, in my experience, after more than a year using a Das Keyboard, it has helped me in writing speed (WPM, or Words Per Minute) and also with the pains in the hands that I used to have at the hour of writing.
However, Das Keyboard is not particularly cheap (it costs some $ 130), nor is it very portable, so it occurred to me to make a shortlist with several economic options that can serve as an entry point for the wonderful world of keyboards mechanics.
Quick Summary: Best Mechanical Keyboard Under 100
Last update on 2021-07-24
Cheap Mechanical Keyboards: Basic Information
The basic thing we have to know about mechanical keyboards – apart from the fact that each key has an individual switch – is that there is a variety of “switches” that vary completely how we feel the keyboard. There is a huge variety of brands on switches (Cherry MX being the most popular), but they all fall under three categories, differentiated by colors:
Blue Switches or blue switches: These are the “loudest”, with a strong clack. In addition, it requires a little more pressure, so it is not highly recommended for games, but for writing. I personally love it, but it may not be the ideal option if they usually work a lot in shared environments, because of the noise produced. However, to write, after trying all three options, I like it the most.
Green Switches, or green switches: This variety is less known, but they offer quite a lot of similarities to blues. That is, they make a lot of noise and are firmer than the rest. In fact, they offer up to a little more resistance than the blue ones, making them a perfect choice for those who usually put more pressure when they write.
Brown switches or brown switches: These are, perhaps, the most popular. The difference with the blues is that they do not offer as much resistance and are not as bustling, making them much more versatile than the rest. They are the most popular, for a good reason: they adapt better than the rest to any need or situation.
Red Switches or red switches: These are the most recommended for games or gaming, since they do not offer as much resistance as the other two options. But still, the level of accuracy of each activation is far, far superior to any traditional keyboard. Unlike the rest of the switches on the list, these are “linear” rather than “tactile,” so they usually slide smoothly and have a much lower activation force.
Any of the three options will offer a better experience than conventional keyboards. But yes, it should be noted that all these keyboards require much more “travel” than an ultra-flat keyboard such as the Apple Keyboard. If you hate this “travel” – the trip that our finger has to make when pressing the key, until it is activated – and you are used to an ultra-flat keyboard, perhaps a mechanical keyboard is not for you.
It should also be noted that there are “Switch Testers” so they can test how a mechanical keyboard feels in general, and the differences between each of the switches. On eBay, you can find one for $ 2.99, which is definitely a much smaller investment, before buying a keyboard.
Very few keyboards that you will find with the letters in Spanish, especially in an economic price range. But if you have been writing for years, it is very easy to learn the location of each key and configure Windows / Mac / iOS / Android so that the English keyboard is recognized in Spanish, it is not a big problem at all. After a few days, they will be typing on the keyboard without seeing and without problems.
The aesthetics of this keyboard is not for everyone; It’s a gamer keyboard, after all. However, it offers good quality switches (comparable to “blue”, despite the fact that the marketing material mentions the green ones), which makes it a very good option to write. The brand of switches is Outemu, which while not as well known as the Cherry, is of good quality.
For the price of $ 33, it’s hard to find better options than this Redragon. The keyboard is compact, is really mechanical, has a standard size for all keys, offers to light, and yes, it is also compatible with Mac, in addition to Windows.
- Tenkeyless compact mechanical gaming keyboard Redragon k552 tkl small compact with dust proof mechanical switches cherry mx red equivalent Linear switches quiet click sound fast action with minimal resistance without a tactile bump feel
- Rainbow LED RGB backlit mechanical USB gaming keyboard 19 different lighting effects and game modes 2 user defined modes 6 colors multiple brightness level breathing speed precision engineered keycaps offering crystal clear uniform backlighting
- Ergonomic designed steel series mechanical game keyboards high-quality durable metal-abs construction with plate-mounted mechanical keys and switches that stand up even during the most testing marathon gaming sessions
- Anti ghosting all 87 keys are conflict free nkey rollover featuring 12 multimedia keyboard keys and a non-slip ergonomic, splash-proof design comes with gold-plated high-speed corrosion free USB connector for a reliable connection
- Compatible with windows 10, windows 8, windows 7, windows vista, or windows xp, limited mac os keyboard support works well with all major computers brands and gaming pcs.
Last update on 2021-07-25
The Nixeus v2 Compact is an excellent option that offers us the possibility of choosing the switch we want when buying it. We can buy it in blue, red or brown, so we can choose the one that best suits our needs.
In addition, the reason I include Moda v2 is that it comes with additional keys to convert it to a Mac keyboard, so we can easily remove the one from Windows, for example, and change it to that of “CMD” and use it as if it were a Mac keyboard!
- Nixeus Certified Mechanical Switches (Blue Switch)
- Key Switch Rating: Up to 50 million keystrokes for durability and long life
- Ten Keyless design for ergonomic use
- Compatible with Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8/Mac OS
- 3 Year Limited Warranty with free technical support
Last update on 2021-07-24
Another compact and mechanical keyboard, which uses Cherry MX Red switches (that’s why the highest price). The design is much soberer and simple than the Redragon, But within an acceptable price range.
- 10 keyless design for easier travel and more room for your mouse
- Aircraft grade anodized brushed aluminum frame for superior durability
- Advanced lighting control and large font keycaps deliver dynamic, vibrant multi color backlighting
- CUE support enables advanced macro and lighting programming for virtually unlimited game customization
- 100 percent Cherry MX RGB red key switches with gold contacts for Fast, precise key presses. HID Keyboard Report Rate: 1000Hz
Last update on 2021-07-24
If you are looking for a “full size” keyboard, with all the keys – including Numpad or numeric keypad – the Plugable 104 is one of the best alternatives in cheap mechanical keyboards. We have “Blue” style keys, perfect for typing, created by Outemu.
What I like about the keyboard is that it is of the “floating” style, that is, it has no edges around the keys, the keyboard ends where the keys at the ends, Such as ESC, the space bar, and more. Each key is backlit with white LEDs.
- BLUE MECHANICAL SWITCHES - Full-size 104-key mechanical keyboard provides a distinct, smooth, tactile and crisp audible feedback when pressed. Outemu switches and are rated for 50 million actuations. 60Â±15 grams actuation force with 4.0Â±0.2mm of keystroke travel
- PLUG AND PLAY - Compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux devices. Driver and software free for a fully plug-and-play experience
- ERGONOMIC LAYOUT - Keycaps are ergonomically sculpted and individually lit for ease of use even in the darkest environments
- DURABLE BUILD - Robust frameless build features a steel backplate and doubleshot injection ABS keycaps. This rugged design reduces flexing and common wear that shortens the lifespan of other keyboards
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY - We love our Plugable products, and hope you will too. All of our products are backed with a 2-year limited parts and labor warranty as well as Seattle-based email support
Last update on 2021-07-24
Note: That the keyboard comes out with those colors implies that we can customize the hue, we will not necessarily have a rainbow on our desk.
The Drevo Calibur is the only option of low-cost wireless, by Bluetooth, that we have in the list, so it enters the top of cheap mechanical keyboards. It uses Bluetooth 4.0 to have lower energy consumption and although it is not a full keyboard (71 keys), it does have all the main ones. The switch used is a propiom and we have the option to choose between a Black, Blue, Brown or Red.
Being Bluetooth (but it also works with cable) is a good alternative for those looking for an alternative for iOS or Android, for example; a portable alternative that you can take with you.
And this is the list! Of course, this is just the beginning, and the world of mechanical keyboards is really exciting! Once you enjoy one, you can even build your own keyboards. (Yes, ordering individual pieces and so on!)
- Unique Compact Design: Insert F keys into number raw, place arrow keys closer to left part, without numpad, more practical for Gamers and Typist, Less is more.
- Customizable RGB Backlight: True RGB 16.8 million color options, personalize each key backlight via DPC software, get colorful side lights by pressing FN+INS.
- PC/Mac Dual Mode: Switch between PC and Mac easily by pressing FN+TAB, Friendly design for Windows and Mac users.
- Gaming Mode: Anti-ghosting, N-key Rollover allows you to control each key independently, delivering an accurate response while maintaining fluidity. Multimedia keys make much fun while playing games.
- Attractive Features: Detachable USB type C cable, two pairs of magnetic feet to adjust the keyboard height, ABS laser-marked keycaps combine great feel and better transparency for the backlight. Powerful DPC software free download from drevo.net.(Firmware upgraded only on Windows OS)
Last update on 2021-07-24